OCMS provides opportunities for its physician members who want to volunteer in their community.
Health Alliance for the Uninsured
The Health Alliance for the Uninsured needs primary care physicians to donate their time and skills at HAU charitable clinics.
Specialty physicians are also needed to see a limited number of charitable clinic patients in their practices. All referrals are coordinated by HAU. The HAU referral process makes it easy for physicians to participate:
- The physician establishes the number of patients that will be seen.
- HAU arranges lab, pathology, x-ray and other imaging.
- HAU coordinates hospital services.
- Clinic data and notes are sent for the physician to review.
- Patients are screened for eligibility.
- Patients are counseled that a missed appointment, without notice, removes the patient’s eligibility.
- Patients return to the charitable clinic for follow-up and treatment of other health conditions.
- Liability protection for physicians that volunteer at free/charitable clinics and/or agree to accept referrals of free/charitable clinic patients is covered by recent state laws.
For more information or to sign up, please contact Beverly Caviness, RN, or Jan Miller, MD at (405) 286-3343.